The congregation originally belonged to the Anti-Burgher Church (which had seceded from the Associate Presbytery, or Secession Church, in 1747). It had been established in 1819 in Regent Place at 44 Blackfriars Street. The premises were sold to the City of Glasgow Union Railway for a goods station, and the congregation opened their new church in Dennistoun in 1878 as the Regent Place United Presbyterian Church. It became Regent Place United Free Church in 1900.
In 1941 the Regent Place and Cathedral Square congregations united to become Regent Place and Cathedral Square United Free Church, meeting for worship in Craigpark building (no 10 Craigpark). The congregation was dissolved in 1960 and the premises were used by Whitehill School (back to back with Regent Park Church) as an Assembly Hall until the closure of the School in 1977. The abandoned church was set on fire and demolished in 1983.