Annfield House was built in the 1770s and demolished just 100 years later when it had become a school building. In 1660s that estate land (to the south of Duke Street and whose western boundary was Witches Lone now known as Bellgrove) belonged to James Bogle but in 1750 it was purchased by Robert Tennent, a merchant, who opened the Saracen's Head Hotel in 1754. He then sold Annfield on to another Mr Tennent, a tobacco merchant, whose son built the house and named it after his wife Ann (Park). It was then sold to James Sword (Sword Street) in 1791 who built extensions to the house. John Reid (Reidvale Street) then purchased the estate in 1852 and on his death it was acquired by Alexander Dennistoun.